DAVID V. HUGHES
Art Director and Experienced Multidisciplinary Designer
A lifelong creative whose work has encompassed forms ranging from graphic design, set design, illustration, project management, and art direction. I draw from a vast breadth of experience for inspiration and technique and pursue the highest of standards with the passion of an artist and the discipline of a craftsman.
IBM Senior Designer 2014-2020
Held responsibility for concept and creation of assets to be published on the master brand social platforms. Role included art direction, motion graphics, illustration, graphic design, photography, video, and media post-production adhering to strict brand guidelines.
- Primary creator of team’s graphics and animations. Introduced and put into practice the use of Cinemagraphs, stop-motion animation, 360 video/tours and furniture design for social media publication, achieving award for 2016 PR NEWS Most Engaged Brand.
- Served as Art Director and assisting creative for the most engaged Instagram post of 2018, gaining just under 12K likes and 150 comments.
- Spearheaded implementation of 360 video into social posts, generating savings of $18K per asset by initiating sole responsibility for obtaining Research Lab video creation from vendor and creating assets completely in-house.
- 360 Research Lab series went on to claim the 2016 PR News Winner for Social Video.
Founder of davidvhughes.com Designer 2011 – Concurrent
Launched davidvhughes.com design services as a primary vocation during time living in Stockholm, Sweden. Range of services offered and delivered included, but not limited to art direction, branding and implementation, editorial design, web graphics, package design, website population, and administration.
- Built small but dedicated base from zero clients the previous year, instigating and fostering key relationships and navigating tax code, bookkeeping, and other business considerations in non-native language.
- Produced unique and eye-catching event poster for local client, catching the attention of art director in US and earning selection to work on several projects for the New York Times.
ICBA Inc. Creative Lead/Designer 2002 – 2010
Worked as freelance chief designer and fabricator of sets, props, and models to be used in various print and television campaigns. Created concept illustrations using Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and pencil. Hired and managed build crews, generated weekly goal-oriented scheduling, and directed task delegation.
- Operated as construction coordinator for Bloomingdale’s NYC Christmas windows 2003 in partnership with Spaeth Design, coordinating fabrication and installation of department store’s iconic Lexington Avenue Holiday window displays.
- Actualized vision of store’s window display director by hiring and managing small group of artisans and craftspersons, including carpenters, scenic painters, and mechanical technicians and effectively transcribing concept drawings into practical drawings for build crew.
- Pitched and landed contract for Real Simple Television, working as construction coordinator for set construction and lead scenic for on-set art department.
E2K Events Stage Manager/Scenic 2001-2011
Hired for 10 consecutive years to stage manage extremely time-restrictive NFL Pro Bowl and Thanksgiving Day halftime shows in Hawaii and Detroit. Operated as point of contact for stage crew orientation and stage assignments. Role included stage fabrication and scenic preparation prior to rehearsals and on game day.
- Trained up to 200 novice military and civilian volunteers, building finely choreographed team that could safely move multiple large stage sections on and off playing field within 2 minutes or less.
SCHOOL OF VISUAL ARTS
New York, NY
Bachelor of Fine Arts